Worsbrough Mill Museum and Country Park
Worsbrough Mill Museum and Country Park,
Tel: 01226 774527
Click the icon in the map and select "directions" at the bottom of the box.
(The postcode for the centre of
Penistone is S36 6AR.)
Distance from Penistone: 9.4 miles / 21 mins
The Country Park covers over 240 acres and holds local nature reserve status, it incorporates a 17th century working water powered corn mill and a 60 acre reservoir which is open to anglers and birdwatchers. The Country Park has well maintained footpaths that meander through Willow Carr and around the whole circumference of the reservoir passing meadowlands that are rich in wild flowers and where industrial heritage sites have now given over to nature.
The oldest part of the mill that is still here, dates from about 1625 and forms the two storey stone building known as the Old Mill, which houses the waterwheel. Before the mill house was built in the mid 18th century the miller and his family would have lived in the mill itself. There are large fire places on both the ground and first floors. The lintel over the fire place on the first floor is inscribed with several dates and initials of the millers.
In the early 19th century the small village of Worsbrough developed into a large industrial village. Supplies of coal and ironstone were found locally and the Worsbrough branch of the Dearne and Dove canal came up to the village. A reservoir was built next to the mill to provide water for the canal system. As a result the population grew. The Old Mill was probably modernised in the early 1820's to improve its output and in the 1840's the New Mill was built next door. The machinery in the New Mill was powered by a steam engine and a third floor where the grain could be stored in bulk, was added.
Members of the public can see the milling process on selected days at Worsbrough Mill, from the grain arriving from the farm, the cleaning of the wheat, the actual grinding of the grain, through to the seperation of white and wholemeal flour. All within the mill's 17th and 19th century buildings. The white and wholemeal flours are traditionally stoneground on a pair of 19th Century ''French Burr'' stones powered by a cast iron water wheel, installed in 1865.
Flour ground in the mill can be purchased from the mill shop, along with gifts and souvenirs. Please see the opening times listed at the bottom of this page.
Other attractions and activities:
- Country Park
- Rockley Weir
- Circular walks
Please see the website for more detailed information and opening times and special events.
All the information on these pages is provided by the attraction's management or is taken from their website. Any queries should be addressed to the owners or management, not Visit Penistone. Please check with the official website before visiting.
The maps are provided by Google and all information is reproduced here in good faith: Visit Penistone cannot be held responsible for any errors or misrepresentation.