If you want to watch racing, Doncaster is the home of the St Leger, and York and Wetherby are both accessible for a day out.
On the other hand, if you want to have a go yourself, the Trans Pennine Trail is a very safe place to go. Following the trail, you can get to Grenowoods and Wharncliffe Woods, where there are miles of trails to follow, completely away from the traffic although you have to watch out for bike riders and walkers! You can even go trekking with Lazing Saddles near Cawthorne.
Please contact the venue itself, see their website or click on the link to Google Maps for directions.
Distances mentioned here are from Penistone town centre.
Grenoside Equestrian Centre - 4.8 miles
- Barnes Green Grenoside, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S35 8NA
- Tel: 0114 240 2548
- Website: www.grenoside-equestrian.co.uk
- Location and directions from Google Maps
A BHS and Pony Club registered licensed riding school. Our team of qualified and experienced instructors offer lessons and hacks for all levels from beginners to advanced riders requiring examination training.
Our Equestrian Services Include : - Own a Pony (grooming and ride) - Nature Trails (learn plants and trees in the woods on horseback) - Themed Treasure Hunts (look for hidden treasure in the forest) - Pony Parties (room provided for party food) - Gymkhana (with rosettes to be won) - Picnic Rides and Chocolate Ride (ride out and stop halfway for picnic or hot choc) - Hacking (from 1/2 hour rides for total beginners to 2 hour rides for advanced riders).
Leg Up Equestrian
- Tel: 01226 370679
- Website: www.legupequestrian.co.uk
LegUp Equestrian is headed by competition rider and qualified trainer Carolyn Goldstraw, who organises various events and training for horses and riders of all levels around South and West Yorkshire.
Horse and rider training clinics; Clinics with Guest leading trainers; Showjumping events; Dressage competitions.
Lazing Saddles - 3.3 miles
- Elmhirst Farm, South Lane, Cawthorne, Barnsley S75 4EF
- Tel: Lynn on 07939 333573 or 07960 445913 or Amelia on 07939 074226
- Website: n/a
- Location and directions on Google Maps
- Relaxed Western Horse Trekking Experiences through the beautiful and historic Vale of Cawthorne.
- Let your guides Lynn and Amelia take you on one of the many varied 'loop rides' through breathtaking countryside, on an experience never to be forgotten.
- All levels of ability are catered for and an abundance of options are available. Gift vouchers, birthday celebrations, picnic rides through wooded glades and crystal streams. We aim to please and invite you to contact us for a friendly no obligation chat!It is your day after all, so go on 'Do Something Different!!'
Mallard House Riding Centre - 4.8 miles
- Mallard House Riding Centre, Finkle Street Lane, Wortley, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S35 7DH
- Tel. 0114 288 7743
- Email: n/a
- Website: www.mallardhouseridingcentre.co.uk
- See location & directions on Google Maps
Mallard House Riding Centre is conveniently located alongside the Trans Pennine Trail between Barnsley and Sheffield, just 5 mins drive from junction 36 on the M1. Penistone is just a short drive away.
iding activities to suit all ages and abilities, from 4 years upwards, on a variety of well behaved ponies and horses. There are lead rein walks for the young, beginner and more advances lessons including jumping, in both group and private sessions. Please see the website for more details.
All the information on these pages is obtained from directories or, in some cases the attractions themselves or their websites. All effirt is made to ensure the accuracy of entries but you should always check with the venues themselves before visiting. Any queries should be addressed to the owners of the business, not Visit Penistone.